Weston, Missouri

Weston, the commercial city of the county, is pleasantly situated on the Missouri River, about 500 miles by water and 325 by land from St. Louis, and about 25 miles from St. Joseph by the Atchison and St. Joseph Railroad, now nearly completed. Population 3500.

This is an important commercial and shipping point, surrounded by an excellent agricultural region, under a good state of cultivation. ┬áThere are here 5 churches — Methodist, Baptist, Christian, Episcopal, and Catholic — a branch of the Mechanics’ Bank of St. Louis, 2 insurance companies, an excellent newspaper, (“Platte Argus,” by William F. Wiseley,) a high school, select school, and seminary.

Population about 3500. The first cabin erected in Weston was in August, 1837, by John B. Wells, Esq., for Joseph Moore. The following fall and winter, Madame Lucy Boone, Robert Bates, S. C. Fugett, and others settled here. Messrs. Murphy & Ferguson had the first grocery store, and Thornley & Lucas and T. F. Warner were the pioneer merchants, commencing in 1839. The town was laid out in 1837, by Joseph Moore, surveyed by Thomas E. Jordan.