More about Atchison County…
Full colorperspective map not drawn to scale.
- An illustration of the Massasoit House in Atchison, Kansas copied from the book “The Overland Trail”. The four-story structure was completed in September of 1856 at the northwest corner of 2nd and Main Street in Atchison, Kansas. The hotel became an Atchison landmark when Abraham Lincoln checked in on December 2, 1859, as he traveled throughout northeast Kansas discussing the issues and concerns of slavery in the territory. The hotel was later destroyed by fire on September 1, 1873.
- This atlas shows maps of each township with the names of landowners. It has a patrons’ directory, and plats of towns as of the year of publication.
- This was the first city directory published for Atchison, Kansas. In addition to advertisements, a street directory, and information about various civic institutions in Atchison, it also contained
an historicalsketch of the city written by Dr. J. H. Stringfellow, one of Atchison’s “earliest pioneers.” Some women are listed in the directory if they operated a business such as a boarding house, if they had a job, or, apparently, if they were widowed or unmarried. The “business mirror” section listed individual businesses grouped by the type of business or profession. The appendix included a listing of city and county officials.
- With dates of